Building “Straw People”
* Not speaking the truth builds “straw people” or imaginary thoughts in our mind.
* Straw people are built with lies, presumptions, guessing, falsehoods, misconceptions, wrong ideas, and partial truths.
* Straw people are not built with truth and can be very dangerous.
* Biblical example of building a straw person:
"When Joseph's brethren saw that their father was dead, they said, Perhaps now Joseph will hate us and will pay us back for all the evil we did to him." AMP
* When someone allows lies and deception to enter their thoughts, the straw people become stronger and then they become a stronghold. It is like breathing life into the straw person.
* Strongholds need to come down and be destroyed by truth in the word of God.
2 Corinthians 10:4-6
“for the weapons of our warfare are not worldly but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every proud obstacle to the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.” RSV
“The sum of thy word is truth; and every one of thy righteous ordinances endures for ever.” RSV
“Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, and in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.” NKJV
“Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day.” NKJV
* As we obey truth we are set free.
* If we live in obedience and speak the truth today people can trust us in the future.
* Reading God’s word is valuable because we are reading words of truth. Not only are we reading God’s truth but we are filling our life up with His words. If we have God’s word in abundance it will come out of our mouth.
“For out of the fullness (the overflow, the superabundance) of the heart the mouth speaks.” AMP
* Release truth from your mouth today. Be a well of life (fountain of life) to others. (read the account of the woman at the well found in John 4:1-15)
“The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence.” RSV
Truthfulness vs. Deception
"Earning future trust by accurately reporting past facts" (IBLP)
* Dictionary definition for the word “Deception”: Trick, fraud, dishonesty, and double-dealing.
* People are looking for truth. Jesus is truth.
“Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.” RSV
* Truth makes people free. Watch the video.
“Jesus then said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." RSV
* We are to speak God’s truth in love. When speaking to people about something it might be the truth, but it might not be in a loving manner.
“Therefore, putting away falsehood, let every one speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.” RSV
* Learning how to speak to people should be a high priority.
“Conduct yourselves wisely toward outsiders, making the most of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer every one.” RSV
* Let us remember these powerful words of Jesus in John 8:44.
John 8:44 (AMP)
“You are of your father, the devil, and it is your will to practice the lusts and gratify the desires [which are characteristic] of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a falsehood, he speaks what is natural to him, for he is a liar [himself] and the father of lies and of all that is false.”
* Let us be found speaking the truth like Jesus and not lies like the father of lies which is the devil.
Click here and read the surrounding verses of John 8:44.