How do we draw near to God? (Audio dramatized)
As a pastor and teacher, my goal is to equip the saints in a variety of ways. I know for a fact that people have many questions on how to do things. Therefore I am presenting to you some answers to the following questions. How do we draw near to God who we cannot see? And how do we prevent giving up? Discover the answers in this dramatized audio teaching. Be encouraged!!
Draw Near to God by Faith!
High faith level keeps God stronger than our problems and provides flexibility!
1. This teaching today revealed to me why people struggle and give up on God, prayer, study, and application of God’s word.
2. There are many things we draw near to, in this world. (Physically)
3. There are many people we draw near to, in this world. (Physically)
4. We draw near to things and people in a variety of ways. (Physically and electronically)
5. Some are better than others.
6. Whatever it is we value we pay attention to it. (Draw near to it)
7. Think about our possessions, hobbies, and jobs. (Inside and outside the home)
8. We spend time, energy, money.
9. The Father (A spiritual Being) drew near to us in the physical through the birth of His Son Jesus Christ.
"God is a Spirit (a spiritual Being)" AMP
"the Word became flesh and dwelt among us" NKJV
10. We are valued by our heavenly Father. (More than the birds Matthew 6:25-34)
11. The Father paid attention to us and gave us His best-Jesus His Son.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." NKJV
12. When we love we give our best. (Should be our goal)
"THEREFORE BE imitators of God [copy Him and follow His example], as well-beloved children [imitate their father]." AMP
13. I believe that the heavenly Father desires us to draw near to Him.
14. This is easy to say.
15. I also believe that the heavenly Father desires us to give Him our best. (Easy to say)
16. However, the competition is high between what we see in the physical and God who we cannot see. (Including our problems-keep this in mind as we go)
17. People cannot see God. (a spiritual Being)
18. People cannot see Jesus. (Not here in the flesh)
19. Provision has been made to remedy this. (that we cannot see the Father, Jesus or the Holy Spirit)
20. God has given us a measure of faith for what we cannot see-God Himself.
21. Through faith, God is more real we know that He is here.
"For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith#4102." NKJV
"For by the grace given to me I bid every one among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith#4102 which God has assigned him." RSV
22. The children of God (Not the unsaved) have a measure of faith.
23. It does not say what the measure is but we do have some.
24. However, we are responsible to add to our faith.
2 Peter 1:5
"But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith…" NKJV
25. Without faith, it is impossible to please God.
26. Consider this verse and the hobbies we engage in. (Fun stuff)
"And without faith#4102 it is impossible to please him. For whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." RSV
"But without faith#4102 it is impossible to please and be satisfactory to Him. For whoever would come near to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He is the rewarder of those who earnestly and diligently seek Him [out]." AMP
27. By faith, we overcome rather than be overtaken.
1 John 5:4-5
"For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith#4102. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?" NKJV
1 John 5:4-5
"For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith#4102. And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God." NLT
28. Our measure of faith is for those things we cannot see.
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." NKJV
"NOW FAITH is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses]." AMP
29. Faith should override how we feel.
2 Corinthians 5:7
"for we walk by faith, not by sight." RSV
2 Corinthians 5:7
"For we live by believing and not by seeing." NLT
30. Therefore by faith, we can draw near to our Father who we cannot see.
31. Because I said that the heavenly Father desires us to draw near to Him.
32. Provision to draw near is available today through the blood of His Son.
33. The choice belongs to us.
34. An effort is involved to draw near to God who we cannot see.
"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." NKJV
Verse 8. Draw nigh to God—So "cleave unto Him," De 30:20, namely, by prayerfully (Jas 4:2, 3) "resisting Satan," who would oppose our access to God.
A Commentary: Critical, Experimental, and Practical on the Old and New Testaments.
35. We have the potential to draw near to God.
"But now in Christ Jesus, you who once were [so] far away, through (by, in) the blood of Christ have been brought near." AMP
36. What we cannot see must be greater than what we can see.
37. Once this is established we will see the value of God and pay attention to Him.
38. This is one reason we:
(4) Apply God’s word.
39. As we do these things we increase our value of God. (More real)
40. Therefore increasing what we cannot see-God Himself.
41. Then we will have the determination to draw near to Him.
John 3:30 (Short paraphrase)
"He (who I cannot see) must increase, but I (who I can see) must decrease. [He must grow more prominent; I must grow less so.]" AMP
42. The value we place on our Father determines how much time we spend with Him.
43. The more time we spend with the Father the more sensitive we are to His presence and promptings. (Deeper convictions)
44. Things will be revealed as we spend time with Him.
45. Consider these verses.
"And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does what is true comes to the light, that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been wrought in God." RSV
46. When we come to the light things in our lives are exposed.
All this takes time!
47. The question, will we draw near to our Father more than the things in this world?
48. The question, will we draw near to our Father more than the people in this world?
49. The question, will we draw near to our Father more than the animals in this world?
50. The question, will we draw near to our Father more than the electronics in this world?
51. The question, will we draw near to our Father more than jobs in this world?
52. The question, will we draw near to our Father more than hobbies in our life?
53. The choice is ours.
54. Let us not allow ruff times, tribulations dictate to us that we should draw near to our Father.
55. Rather do it out of love.
Very important observation:
56. If we do not spend time,
(1) Hearing the word of God
(2) Praying to the Father
(4) Applying the word of God
Our faith in God who cannot see diminishes. (Faith level drops)
57. The result of this is our problems can be more real to us than God even though we know that God is bigger than our problems.
Faith level of Abraham (Old Testament) and Paul (New Testament)
Romans 4:19-22 (Abraham’s faith level)
"And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah's womb. 20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform." NKJV
2 Timothy 1:12 (Paul’s faith level)
"And this is why I am suffering as I do. Still I am not ashamed, for I know (perceive, have knowledge of, and am acquainted with) Him Whom I have believed (adhered to and trusted in and relied on), and I am [positively] persuaded that He is able to guard and keep that which has been entrusted to me and which I have committed [to Him] until that day." AMP
58. Our faith level must be higher than our problems.
59. If we cannot see it we need faith.
60. We must be fully convinced and positively persuaded that God can do what He said.
(1) Hear the word of God
(2) Pray to the Father
(4) Apply the word of God
Consider this video!
Start your day with this! Do not give up! from Vince Marino on Vimeo.