Spread the Sweet Fragrance…
Welcome, all Royal Prayer Guards! (Notice the character qualities you are demonstrating in this focus)
As we continue to move forward in God’s kindness and wisdom, I believe that He is pleased that His children are taking the time to pray for the saved and unsaved. Thank you, for your loyalty and availability!
Notice the character qualities you are demonstrating in this prayer focus.
Not all people are God’s children. We as believers in Christ are not like everybody.
(2 Corinthians 6:14-18, 1 John 3:1-2, 1 John 3:10)
We have a distinction, based on God’s word. With that distinction comes a responsibility.
Responsibility for God’s children:
Those in Christ (His children) should be spreading the sweet fragrance (a smell, and odor) of the knowledge of Christ everywhere. This includes all areas of social media. Also, His knowledge consists of the character qualities of Jesus, not just theology.
2 Corinthians 2:14-16
But thanks be to God! For in union with Christ we are always led by God as prisoners in Christ's victory procession. God uses us to make the knowledge about Christ spread everywhere like a sweet fragrance.
1 Thessalonians 1:5
For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake.
Knowledge about Christ will not be sweet for those who are being lost! (Unsaved)
2 Corinthians 2:15-16
For we are like a sweet-smelling incense offered by Christ to God, which spreads among those who are being saved and those who are being lost.
16 For those who are being lost, it is a deadly stench that kills; but for those who are being saved, it is a fragrance that brings life. Who, then, is capable for such a task?
Therefore, as children of God, we can expect some opposition. However, I believe that the knowledge of Christ will be like a sweet fragrance that brings life for people who are unsaved, who are genuinely seeking Jesus.
The physical aspect of fragrance for those in Christ:
Most believers understand smell, odor, scent, and fragrance from a physical aspect. When they have an unusually bad odor or smell … they usually do something about it. They wash up, take a shower, or use deodorant…
The spiritual aspect of fragrance for those in Christ:
From our heart and out of our mouth!
What do God’s children smell like toward themselves and those in Christ?
What kind of knowledge, speech, information, character, and texting… are we spreading?
We should be spreading the knowledge of Christ everywhere, which includes His character.
Furthermore, when we do speak and give out the knowledge of Christ it should be like a sweet fragrance, which again I say, consists of the character qualities of Jesus, not just theology.
Those in Christ can have the knowledge of God with many degrees…, but at the same time have an ungodly behavior.
Suggestions to use in our payers:
1. Alertness to spread the fragrance of the knowledge of Jesus everywhere, which includes the character qualities of Jesus.
2. Understanding of, who are the children of God.
3. Responsibility for spreading the sweet fragrance of the knowledge of Christ everywhere.
4. Realize that the knowledge about Christ will not be sweet for those who are being lost.
5. Recognize that the knowledge of Jesus will be sweet for those who are genuinely seeking Jesus.
6. Examining ourselves to see if we have a spiritually bad odor, or smell, through the knowledge, speech, information, character, and texting… we are spreading. If we do have a spiritual bad odor or smell, we should do something about it. (2 Corinthians 13:5, Hebrews 4:2, James 1:22)
7. Ask the Father, in Jesus name, to manifest the desire and power to spread the fragrance of the knowledge of Jesus everywhere, including the character qualities of Jesus. If we believe it, we will do it.
(John 16:23-24, Hebrews 11:6, Philippians 2:13, Mark 11:22-26, 1 Thessalonians 1:5)
Click here. Portions of Scripture for this prayer focus. (PDF file)
Click here. 2 Corinthians 2:14-16 Barnes' Notes on the New Testament.
Pastor Vince Marino
Royal Prayer Guards